megwheresheis

This is about my journeys that take me to wherever I am... physically, emotionally, spiritually... just where I am... on this crazy journey. Feel free to jump on and come for the ride, visitors most welcome.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

MMMMkay kiddies...
I'm currently chillin' at my summer volunteer post aka-the Tipp City Public Library. I bring good news. Ricky is still completely adorable, sweet, and healthy. Ava loves him so much! She tried to get into his bassinet today. The two of them are such a delight. Aww... little people. I do love them.
So, since I'm in the 'brary I figured I ought to come at ya with a few recent book reviews:

-Choice Theory by William Glasser.
He has some good points. The main point is that the only person you can control is yourself. Live like that is the case and you'll get along a lot easier. One bone of contention I must pick is his disdain for any types of medicine. I mean, I appreciate natural methods as much as anyone else, but I won't be convinced that diseases like asthma and arthritis are all in our heads. Really now. (good news on the asthma front-I'm on less medicine! Hooray!) He also talks about having a safe space for negotiating for relationships. This is cute. I like his point that in such a space you are free to offer what you will do, but you do not plead for what you want others to do. Just how does one translate this self-control psychology into their lives? Well, that's the tough part (isn't it always?!). I'm in the practice section right now... but I did go through recent journal entries of mine and pick out things where I can make empowered decisions about, which seemed helpful.
He also talks about the five needs of people: love, power, belonging, survival, and freedom. He discusses how these play out in relating to one another. I found that I have a high need for love, but not necessarily belonging, as I am content to run with a small close-knit group rather than a large one. It might appear that I take a fair amount of risks, so I am low on the survival end...and the freedom end... any guesses? Pretty darn high... which is interesting to reflect upon (especially in the context of my recent evaluation of romantic relationships in our culture).

-Wicked
This is about the wicked witch of the west and how she became who she is. It was interesting, but didn't give as much perspective as I had hoped. Also, there was way too much sex in this book. Maybe that's what I don't like about novels.

-The Faith Club
This book describes three women building interfaith relations. One is Muslim, Christian, and Jew. I appreciated their perspectives, but was disappointed that they considered pluralism only the religions of Abraham. I learned a lot about Islam, which I think is especially important in America today. I liked how the women had a stereotypes discussion. They were brave to share and receive stereotypes; and then dissect and tackle them together. I hope I have some open-minded housemates in the fall. This book might be one worth mentioning as we try to have interfaith discussions and build community together.
Some points that I found very interesting: The Muslim woman pointed out how much "Jesus propaganda" there is in the US, which I agree.
One quote I appreciated (pg 108):
"But we should all recognize that when religion is used as a rationale for aggression, a tactic for war, or to justify a promise of land, then it is politicized religion. It becomes a human ideology that has nothing to do with Godly values."
************************************
Those are the books I've read recently that stuck out in my memory.

As promised I am going to share a few things from my journal lately too...
I wrote this after someone told me they hoped Ricky wouldn't have any deformities, that they were praying for him....
People often thank God for health. But what is this saying about illness, disabilities, and other forms of diversity? I'm starting to think the word 'disability' is misleading. A person who is blind might have an acute sense of hearing. Just as an autistic child my have an acute sense of joy. I, more than most people I know, appreciate breathing. I just wonder if we might be kidding ourselves when we are grateful to be "normal" and "healthy". Go ahead and be grateful to be, but perhaps we should also be thankful for diversity?
*****
I wrote this after Missy and I passed a funeral procession on the way to work one day:
Not that funerals are for the dead, but when I die at age 102, I'd like to have a party. I want to be cremated and for everyone to have a big ol' bonfire instead of a viewing, a farewell party/talent show perhaps. If for some reason they want to have a procession, it too should be a party. I'm not kidding, it should be more of a parade than anything else. I want people's cars to say "Honk if you're joyful!" and have a trail of cans on strings. I'd like one car to say "Just buried!" Then I want someone to bury my ashes (legal or not!) under some maple tree. Heck, maybe they could even plant one for the occasion. It doesn't need to be long living like the oak, just bright. And if I live in a climate that maples don't love how about a Metasequoia glyptostroboides? I sure like those trees... and their seeds like fire, and well, that might be significant to me too. Oh and if folks wanted they could write letters to me and burn them at my bon-fire, that seems symbolic enough... and I'd rather that no one pretends I was perfect. Really, y'all could laugh about how much of a turkey I am to live with, etc, etc.
*****

and that's it for now... Missy wants me to get back to work! I don't know why she's so bossy for $2 and hour... I do alright ;)
love!
megsy

thankful list:
-pudding
-clean drinking water
-Ricky!
-Ava!
-re fried beans
-tiny prayers that look a lot like joy
-laughter
-the promise of swimming soon
-the big white Ohio sky, thick with summer's heat and humidity
-that Dawny is alright
-the banjo in my life
-stickers
-clean air
-friends

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home