megwheresheis

This is about my journeys that take me to wherever I am... physically, emotionally, spiritually... just where I am... on this crazy journey. Feel free to jump on and come for the ride, visitors most welcome.

Monday, June 04, 2007

a short book review...

Hello folks...
    I have been slow to update the blog considering I've been free for the last week.  It feels like I've been out of school for much longer, as I've felt countless transitions in this brief period.  I promise to update the blog more fully soon... perhaps even a few pics... but in the meantime.... I've just finished reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.  Interested read.  It's about Chris McCandless, a boy who perished in the Alaskan wilderness.  Besides the fact that he passed away on a huge adventure, his life is notable as well.  This book caused me to think about my place in society and how much I am (and am not) a part of the dominant culture.  I identified with Chris in his desire and need for the outdoors, as well as his disdain at times for mainstream American ways.  This is especially relevant as I've recently had the culture shockin' adventures of returning home to Anna, Ohio.  It's a bit different than little liberal Berea and my life here is much different than it was in the Ecovillage.  Also interesting because LVC has a simple living component, which I will no doubt understand much more in the coming year.  The book also motivated me to hone up on more survival skills before my next backpackin' trip (whenever this darn foot heals that is!).  The book also calls into question the pursuit of one's dreams.  I appreciate Chris' sense of adventure and his determination to follow his heart.  I am not as extreme as he is in any arena, but I can certainly appreciate his genuineness.  One quote that stands out to me is actually a quote from another book:
 
"Lara walked along the tracks following a path worm by pilgrims and then turned into fields.  Here she stopped and, closing her eyes, took a deep breath of the flower-scented air of the broad expanse around her.  It was dearer to her than her kin, better than a lover, wiser than a book.  For a moment she rediscovered the purpose of her life.  She was here on earth to grasp the meaning of its wild enchantment and to call each thing by its right name, or, if this were not within her power, to give birth out of love for life to successors who would do it in her place"
-Doctor Zhivago
 
Overall, I recommend the book.  Also this week I read Marley and Me which I recommend for any dog lovers. 
 
Promise to share more recent thoughts with y'all, although I must confess I've spent much less time on the computer recently as I've taken to occupying our front porch bench most evening and journaling out there.  I don't reckon anyone will try and convince me this is a bad thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home