megwheresheis

This is about my journeys that take me to wherever I am... physically, emotionally, spiritually... just where I am... on this crazy journey. Feel free to jump on and come for the ride, visitors most welcome.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

reflections and predictions over a ~magic* crystal?!

Whoa....that is my only possible response from a catch up session like I just experienced. I was excited to see my little Jessa again, but our cohort-ing days have been much more recent than those of Kati and I... so there was no uncertainty about what it would be like to hug Jessa again... Miss Kati Maginel and I just spent the evening telling stories in attempts at feeling out an "old" friendship that has been geographically separated for over a year and a half now (due to ramblin' adventures that led us to opposite corners of the earth at various times). How interesting, the physiological responses of seeing old friends... it starts (at least in my most recent experience) with some sort of nervousness and uncertainty... and a certain amount of dumbfounded-ness as well. Was I actually seeing Kati-did again? The chica whose path I have not crossed in so long? The girl who knows my early Berea history as we study our butts off in "Plants for Society" freshman year together? Is this the girl who I spent my first year as a SENS director learning and living and laughin' with?

Our conversation spanned the gamut as we inserted various stories of adventures and trips down memory lane... we recalled what stories lie within these walls of the SENS house... Not many people spend the majority of their undergrad experience in the same house, job, and even room. Kati just left to head back to the place she and David will share with Leslie and Drew... As some sort of ritualistic pre-semester cleansing I began taking down all of my old decorations. It was so interesting to reflect on the tiny prayers written and taped around the room, and see the hopes and see how I have learned since just last semester. Looking back, Kati and I were amused by our naivety in life and relationships. I wonder which of my current ideals will appear naïve in hindsight. Perhaps I might find that the idealism and intention with which I try to act are not feasible in this so-called "real world"... or maybe I will have a different idea about what love is... who is to tell.

One topic we over-analyzed was friendship... What makes a lasting one? What is it that enables you to relate to some people rather than others? Can relationships be both grounded in a rich history and fluid enough to continue indefinitely? We realized that some of the things that have made our friendship work over the years are not only similar life situations (first loves, first huge heart breaks, etc.) but also similar ways in reflecting on those situations. I can recall after the Costa Rica trip chatting with Kati about our classmates, not in a malicious, gossipy sense, but rather an honest "how did you interpret those actions?" way. Everyone always says that conversation is important in friendships (and all relationships, really). I think that more than that is necessary. Conversation is not enough... it needs to conversation that induces a familiar sense of presence, conversation that feels real to both parties, conversation that feels honest and perspective shifting... conversation that is as challenging as it is amusing. Conversation capable of spanning the entire spectrum of experiences from reminiscing ancient crushes to the ever-present uncertainty about the future. Hmmph.

Cheers to old friends. (and new ones too... they gotta start somewhere)

Thankful list:

-lunch with mama

-jessa and nathan's hugs!

-lester and drew

-kati did and the memories she brings

-this crazy house I live in... and the stories it has seen

-my old notes and prayers, and the fresh start removing them gives me

-tiny heaters (hey, I'm not used to winter and I'm not about to hang out in a 50 degree room, sustainable or not)

-relaxing

-smiling

-the salt crystal lamp that makes you feel like you're around a campfire

-my last semester, shazam!

-all of the Berea opportunities I have had

-gram's cookies

-to come home to Eli and Brandie, who have already made me laugh 50 times

-sleeping bags

-my houseplants!

-that my wild spearmint is still alive and wonderful

-Alix's knitting skills and the colorful scarf that she left for me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home